Prospective Board Members
Thank you for your interest in becoming a Board member at Palm Lane. Below is an overview of the Board, its roles and responsibilities, and attached please find a copy of the Bylaws, Charter Petition and the Board application. Should you have any questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org;
Palm Lane guides our students through a high-quality STEAM-based education in digital learning to empower students to meet and surpass grade level standards. Palm Lane staff members, students, and families strive to create a culture of acceptance and belonging and create a positive, respectful school climate. Our diverse and caring community integrates academics with creativity, thereby fostering independent thinkers, problem solvers, and leaders. We nurture multiple aspects of a child’s development: physical, emotional, intellectual, artistic and social.
Who is Palm Lane School?
Palm Lane is a TK-6 school offering two classes per grade level. As an independent charter school, Palm Lane is publicly funded and responsible for all things pertaining to the daily operation and governance of the school, including managing its own budget, its onsite administration, professional development, curriculum and methodology and delivery of instruction to an ethnically and economically diverse student population. Within the borders of the Anaheim Elementary School District (AESD), Palm Lane is located at 1646 W. Palm Lane in Anaheim, California.
Palm Lane Board of Directors
The Palm Lane Board of Directors is a self-perpetuating Board, comprised of five to eight members including parent members and members of the broader community. A Board term is two years. The Board’s role is to provide academic, fiscal, and fundraising oversight as it upholds the school’s mission and vision. The Board is responsible for hiring and evaluating the Principal’s performance on an annual basis. The Board of Directors meets ten to twelve times annually, once/month. Further, all Board members are encouraged to assist with fundraising efforts for Palm Lane.
Palm Lane Board Member Roles
- Work collaboratively to ensure the mission and vision of the school.
- Maintain high ethical standards in their oversight of the school.
- Speak with one voice once a decision is made or resolution passed.
- Have substantive knowledge or skills in areas complementary to the needs of the Board and share these skills to accomplish the school’s goals and priorities.
- Attend board meetings;
- Have substantial working knowledge of the charter petition and the relationship between the charter school, the District, and the California Department of Education
Palm Lane Board Member Responsibilities
- Conduct, manage and control the affairs and activities of the Corporation and make such rules and regulations;
- Oversee fiscal health, academic success, legal matters and regulations related to Palm Lane. Prepare for, attend, and participate in ALL Board meetings, including an annual Board retreat.
- To borrow money and incur indebtedness for the purposes of the Corporation;
- All Board members will comply with the Brown Act. Each board member will receive annual training on Brown Act compliance.
- All Board members must complete a Form 700
Encouraged Activities (not required but will help you gain a deeper knowledge of Palm Lane and its programs)
- Attend school events
- Visit classrooms and observe the instructional program in action